Situated in the domain of Bois Cheri, the most famous tea estate in Mauritius, lies the truly unique Bubble Lodge. Innovative accommodations have been carefully designed to encompass a partially transparent structure enabling guests to experience luxury whilst sleeping under the stars. Each suite includes a wash basin and lavatory and an outdoor shower, as well as sleeping masks in case of a full moon! Guests staying at the Bubble Lodge receive half board at the Bois Cheri restaurant, which boasts panoramic views towards the south coast. In addition, guests can spend their days making use of the complimentary activities including pedal boats, fishing, hiking and tea tasting.
Hotel child prices apply to ages 3-16 years.
The hotel has 3 rooms.
Bars & Restaurants
Bois Chéri Restaurant
Bois Chéri Restaurant offers panoramic views over the tea plantation and a lake. Guests on half board can enjoy breakfast and dinner from a set menu.
Activities & Entertainment
Activities which are included within your booking Pedal Boat, Fishing, Hiking and Tea Tasting.
About the location
Bois Cheri is a little village just east of Black River Gorges National Park. It’s a small community with a handful of restaurants and hotels – but it’s also home to the oldest and biggest tea plantation in Mauritius.
The Bois Cheri Company first took root here in the 19th century, back when steam strain engines were used to dry the leaves for production (you can still see the original locomotive). Spend a couple of hours here and you can tour the factory, taste-test fresh brews in the plantation-view chalet, and pick up souvenirs in the tea boutique. The Bois Cheri Company doesn’t just grow Ceylon these days, either – you can also pick up green tea and herbals.
Bois Cheri also hosts one of the most innovative hotels in Mauritius – the eco-friendly Bubble Lodge. It makes the most of its spot on the edge of Black River Gorges National Park, offering transparent rooms that give up 360-degree views of the Mauritian forest and star-spangled night sky.
25 minutes from Mauritius airport
Double Bedroom Suite
Max 2 adults
Double Bedroom Suites consist of two connected air conditioned bubbles, one transparent featuring a queen size four poster bed, bean bags, coffee table and tea & coffee making facilities. Second, fully opaque bubble houses a bathroom with toilet and sink. A sky-view shower with running hot water is located on a wooden deck outside.
Max 2 adults, 2 children
Family Suites consist of three connected bubbles; one transparent for a living room with sofa bed for two children and tea & coffee making facilities, second, semi-transparent bubble with a bedroom for parents with two bean bags and coffee table, and third, fully opaque bubble houses the bathroom with toilet and sink. A sky-view shower with running hot water is located on a wooden deck outside.
Based on 44 traveller reviews
What to expect
“ A unique experience, perfect for stargazers and glamping fans
Khaled S, London
Oct 07 2018
The Bois Cherie Plantation hosts three bubble lodges. Except for the bathroom, the lodge is completely transparent. We booked a lodge for one night and it completely turned our senses upside down. At...
The Bois Cherie Plantation hosts three bubble lodges. Except for the bathroom, the lodge is completely transparent. We booked a lodge for one night and it completely turned our senses upside down. At night time, you can hear everything from the surrounding areas and other bubble lodges (including one amorous couple who were celebrating something!). The view of the stars is impressive but probably not as good as we hoped. The top of the Bubble Lodge was dirty and too many trees obscured the view from the lodge meaning we could only see part of the sky rather than see a full spectrum of stars.
My tips for anyone staying in a bubble lodge:
- Buy a local SIM packed with data. Visit the local petrol station as you leave the airport - they sell SIM cards there. At Bois Cherie, wifi access is only available from the main building so, in the lodge, you're disconnected which makes it difficult to use the SkyView app or Netflix from the lodge.
- Wear the eyeshades provided within the lodge when you go to sleep. When the sun rises in the sunlight, without the eyeshade, you'll be exposed to daylight very early in the morning triggering your body to wake up.
- If you're a light sleeper, wear earplugs to block out the noise of the lodge ventilation system.
- Don't get stressed out by the lodge waterless toilet. Despite its appearances, its highly effective at trapping odours.
- Stay one night to experience life in a bubble lodge, there is very little to do inside the Bois Cherie plantation and most travellers might get bored after one night.
My feedback for the Bubble Lodge owners:
- clean the top of the Bubble Lodge and clear the trees from around Lodge. No point staring at the sky to see muddy plastic or trees obscuring the stars.
- Don't force patrons to pay for the room via a credit card machine in euros. We asked to pay in Mauritian rupees and your management would not accept cash and refused to charge the card in Mauritian rupees because they were ordered to ensure everyone paid in euro. Credit card companies charge extra to enable visitors to pay in a non-local currency. By forcing us to pay in euros, it made it more expensive for us to pay via a credit card.
- Offer guests the option to dine at different times; nothing wrong with a simple
dinner made up with some bread, cold cuts and hot chocolate. Sometimes after a flight and a long drive, some guests just want to turn in early.
- Fit more power points inside the lodge. One power point located under the table in an awkward position is not enough.
- Please clean the pedelos moored near the lake and provide some decent fishing rods.
View full review
“ The funniest greatest night of our honeymoon
londonobsession, London, United Kingdom
Oct 02 2018
So we arrived most our bubble for one night and what a night it was. Felt like we were in space. The end was comfy the view was extraordinary. We eat end sunset and the stars rise we had so much fun...
So we arrived most our bubble for one night and what a night it was. Felt like we were in space. The end was comfy the view was extraordinary. We eat end sunset and the stars rise we had so much fun attempting to take selfies in the dark. Hadn't belly laughed like that in a long time. Do we came and we got to feed the deer,only thing behind say is it would be nice if you could choose form the whole menu at dinner. The food and serve ie was the only let down but made up by the amazing experience. We loved the pedallos on the lake and all the adventures we had. Thankyou for and incredible experience
View full review
View more reviews