Will Brexit affect my holiday

To ensure that you receive the exceptional levels of service from your Sovereign holiday, we’ve pulled together everything you need to know about how Brexit could affect your luxury trip abroad. Rest assured, when you book a package holiday with Sovereign, your booking will be ABTA and ATOL protected, safe and therefore you should look forward to your exciting journey. 

Although we don’t foresee long haul travel being affected by Brexit, there may be some considerations relating to flights or transits that may apply, should your journey involve indirect travel via Europe. 

To find out more, take a look at these frequently asked questions for everything you need to know about your holidays after Brexit.

Will my booking still be protected financially?

We are ABTA and ATOL protected. If you book a package holiday with Sovereign, you and your loved ones will receive the most comprehensive travel protection possible. This includes the right to a full refund in the unlikely event that your holiday cannot be fulfilled due to Brexit.

Will flights be grounded?

The European Commission has stated that no aircraft will be grounded, even if no deal is reached. ABTA has already announced that those who are unable to travel due to Brexit will be refunded.

Will I still be able to fly?

The European Commission has confirmed that UK airlines will still be able to operate in the event of a no-deal scenario. It would not be in the interest of any EU country or the UK to restrict the choice of destinations that could be served by EU or UK airlines, but in the event that any disruption does occur, you will be fully ABTA and ATOL protected.

Will the price of my confirmed booking change?

No, don’t worry, you can book your holiday with confidence. Once you have paid and received confirmation of your booking, the price cannot be altered. This is stipulated in the ABTA and ATOL registered tour operators’ code of conduct.

Will I need a new passport?

Your UK passport will still be valid. 

The UK government recommends that you have six months left on your passport on the date of your arrival to an EU country. Full details on renewing your passport can be found on the UK Government website / Passport Renewal

We also suggest as, standard practise, you check the entry requirements for the country you’re travelling to before you travel. 

Will I need a Visa?

The European Commission has confirmed that you won’t need to apply for a visa if you’re travelling to Europe. For worldwide destinations please check with the embassy of the country you wish to travel to for the most up to date information.

How might my insurance be affected by Brexit? 

European Health Insurance Card and travel insurance The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) allows any EU citizen to access state medical care when they are travelling in another EU country. In the event of a no-deal Brexit, UK registered EHICs will no longer be valid. 

ABTA has always advised holidaymakers and business travellers to make sure they have appropriate travel insurance, whether they have an EHIC card or not, as there are limitations to EHIC. 

When travelling in the EU and beyond, it is important you take out travel insurance and check that it covers your current circumstances, including any medical conditions. If you have an annual policy, make sure you check the Terms and Conditions and contact your insurance provider if you’re not sure.  

Head to the ABTA website for travel insurance advice.

Will hotels decline bookings?

At Sovereign, we would be unable to complete a booking with a hotel that cannot honour our booking agreement. In the unlikely event of this happening to an existing booking, rest assured, Sovereign package holidays are ABTA and ATOL protected, so we will be able to provide you with a suitable alternative or refund.  

Car hire – will I need an additional permit alongside a UK driver’s license?

If you hold a full driver’s licence you can currently drive in Europe.  Should a no-deal scenario take place post-March, then UK drivers may need to obtain an International Driving Permit in the future for some European countries. IDPs are available through the Post Office (£5.50 plus £2.50 processing fee per application). Visit the UK Government website for the latest on driving abroad.

Green cards for car insurance 

If the UK leaves without a deal, UK citizens wishing to drive their own vehicle within the EU would be required to obtain and carry a physical Green Card in order for UK car insurance to be applicable. These cards would be issued by insurers and you may be charged a fee. Please contact your insurer before driving your car in Europe.

Essential information for UK nationals travelling to the EU

The following links contain the latest updates for UK nationals travelling and living in Europe: uk-nationals-travelling-to-eu-essential-information and overseas-living-in-guides

For further advice on Brexit  

  • To read our Terms and Conditions please use this link and read section: 11. Visa, Health, Passport, Travel Documentation:
  • For advice on entry requirements for the destination of your choice, visit the FCDO's Foreign Travel Advice web page.

Alternatively, give us a call and one of our Personal Travel Planners will provide you with all the helpful advice you need to enjoy your amazing holiday.


Feefo review image

What our guests think

We've been finding people their own slice of paradise for 50 years, and like to think we're pretty good at it. 
Don't just take our word for it, though - see what our customers have said about their Sovereign experience..

Read guests reviews...
Request a Brochure
Request Your Quote